Thursday, April 16, 2009

In Your Face (not Enya face!)

You... you... talk about just every band
But the names you drop are second-hand
I've heard it all before
Fox on the Run - Sweet

Big, big step today on the musical career front. I designed my "Guitarist Needed" poster and printed out several copies. Tomorrow I hit the music shops and hang 'em up - woohoo! I feel like Jack Black in Hi Fidelity.

Here's the text from the ad:

Me: 10+ years performing experience with Boston-based Celtic rock band. Extensive touring, festival headliner (Fort Lauderdale, East Durham, etc.) Looking to play locally, some touring possible. Songwriter with sense of humor, who prefers Johnny Cash and Bonnie Raitt over whiners like Sarah "Who needs joy when you can cry for 50 minutes per album" McLaughlin. If you like Enya - read no further. Seriously, step away from this flyer.

You: Decent rhythm/lead guitarist. Vocals, multi-instrument & arranging a definite plus. Sense of humor and comfort with pub & festival scene absolutely required. Fondness for Guinness appreciated. Not afraid of "chick singers", especially one who is used to hauling her own gear out of a club at 3 am.

Music: Original, some Irish trad, and a smattering of good cover tunes. Lawyers, Guns and Money? Hell yeah! Anything from "American Idol"? Uh, no thanks.

Other: May look at expanding into full-fledged band mode at some point (fiddle/mandolin, drums, etc). Please note: in over a decade of performing, I have never missed/cancelled a single show. I believe in having a LOT of fun with music, but I don't take my commitments lightly. If you're not dedicated, please call. Someone else, I mean :-)

**********************

Wow, so there it is - it looks like I'm really ready to get back into the fray! I've already got a line on some equipment (small pa system, monitors & mains) and I'm even guitar & mandolin shopping. (I have a guitar at the moment, but it's both borrowed and ungodly hard to play. The action has been adjusted, but to no avail.)

The timing seems a little weird in some ways, but it makes sense. Yeah, I'm 6 months pregnant. But it's going to take several months of serious practicing before anything I put together would be good enough to play out. (I've had experience with rushing into these things, and I don't recommend it!) So I'm thinking that by the time I (a) find someone, and (b) rehearse, it'll be early fall and I will no longer be preggo. And since I've got great babysitters (ie, nana & papa), I'll be good to go. Wow. First time I've had to take THAT into consideration!

Speaking of taking children into consideration, my four year old is bouncing off her bedroom walls. She's such a night owl... I wonder if I can work her xylophone skills into the act?

2 comments:

  1. Wow, that is seriously so exciting!!! How fun!!! It's a shame I like Enya....

    not to mention, I can't play guitar worth a dang...

    but I actually had someone broadly mention they are trying to start a band and I told her I could sorta play piano and she said she'd love to have me... whoa!!! That's something I never thought I'd actually get to do... I'd secretly love to be a rock star, but I never thought it'd actually happen. Anyway, good luck with the hunt!!! that is so exciting!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually, I don't really hate Enya, LOL! But it became my standard joke because as soon as people saw an Irish band with a chick singer, that's the impression they got. Until I opened my mouth, of course!

    As for joining a band - you should absolutely DO IT!!! OMG, I NEVER thought I'd be in a band, but my ex had a band that broke up, and he roped me into being his new singer on a whim. I STUNK at first, so scared and blah. But I came to love it and have a blast. Seriously, I encourage you with all my heart to just jump right in and go for it!!!

    ReplyDelete